Saturday 14 February 2015

Valentine crochet

Happy Valentine's Day!


I've been doing some lovely crochet making for the family this month. First I started making some little crochet hearts-such a simple thing but wow-what an abundance of patterns you can find for these, like most crochet motifs there are many ways of making them. 

So I decided to take on board several ideas/patterns, tried them out and finally came up with one that worked for exactly what I wanted. Using Paton's gorgeous 4 ply crochet cotton which is so lovely to work with. I used a 2.75 mm hook and the heart comes out at approximately 5cm-delicate and slightly lacy but with a firm fabric: 


Then I couldn't resist making more in different colours as they were so cute!

I used ten to make some mini-bunting:


I tried it out in the craft room:
Then realised I need to tidy up my pin boards!

We have had such a mix of weather over the last couple of weeks in Cornwall. There was what I can only describe as a 'trifling' of snow-literally for us a few flakes although the North coast did get a bit more. Then a few days of literally the 'summer in February' which inspired the film title-(by the way if you haven't seen this- do- especially if you miss Matthew Crawley from Downton!!) 


See the trailer here:



I can definitely verify that the beach scene where the weather is described as 'Summer in February' is true-last week I was absolutely roasting down there, shedding layer after layer. Then this week my head almost froze as the waves lashed in throwing up all manner of flotsam and jetsam! Running for cover is not an option when you've strode out (what seems like) miles with the dogs, so being prepared for all eventualities is a must! 

So I decided I would make my lovely husband a hat and fingerless mitts for the walks.
I was a little afraid that he would not think crochet was 'masculine' enough, but when I found a pattern using the 'manly granite stitch' he was hooked! As for colour,he had already commented on his fascination when I was making a shawl recently, with yarn which changes colour as you go, almost disbelieving! So this King Cole Riot chunky was perfect:


The stitch looks almost like a knit!
It crocheted up really quickly and soon hat and mitts were done.



Off to the beach in them he went and has been wearing them ever since! I was quite pleased with myself as I haven't crocheted anything for a male since 1974. There is somewhere a (very faded and vintage by now) photo of said scarf with 'Stoke City' stuck on in felt, being worn by the recipient of this labour of teenage love, but best leave that story for another time! 

My sweet younger daughter had also been getting frozen on the dog walks so I sought out a more challenging than usual pattern for a slouchy beanie and mitts which used gorgeous Debbie Bliss Luxury Donegal tweed aran  using 'Midnight' as she loves blue. The pattern was perfect for getting a tweedy look and the hat and mitts are so warm for her. The mitts are very long-arm warmers really which she says are ideal but with fingers free for getting out dog treats!


Ah the joy of doing handmade for the family! I'm glad it's cold for a little longer so I can enjoy seeing them wear them!  Have you made anything for family members lately?


Well hope you have a lovely Valentine's day, full of love, laughter and family joys,

I'm off to catch up on some of your lovely blogs-see you soon!

Best wishes
Alison xx







18 comments:

  1. Hello Alison! Happy Valentine's Day to you too! What gorgeous mittens and hats you have made for your family and I love the sweet little hearts! So cute!! Enjoy the rest of the weekend! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine-the hearts are so much fun to make and I was so pleased the family liked their warm accessories! xx

      Delete
  2. The hearts look great. I like King Cole Riot, it is so soft. Good looking mitts there. Thanks for always visiting my blog. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo-yes it is soft and seems to be quite hard-wearing! xx

      Delete
  3. Ooh love those hearts...have knitted some in the past which was fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for popping over! Delighted you like the hearts xx

      Delete
  4. That is a great manly hat & fingerless gloves! I agree it's hard making things for men. I made a hat for my son, which he does wear. I also made a beautiful hat for my daughter, but she's brought it home saying it's stretched out too large now. I'm still learning about sizing it seems. Love the shade of blue in your daughter's gloves and hat. You and your family must look great wearing all these handmades together ;) Enjoy your walks! Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Wendy! Lovely to hear that you make hats for the family too, I expect your daughter will be wanting you to make another one! xx

      Delete
  5. Such lovely snuggly things! I have been requested to make a "manly" sleeve for a laptop, I think that I am going to go for grey, that seems to be manly doesn't it! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Amy grey is definitely manly. They seem to like grey or blue. I'm sure your laptop sleeve will be great! xx

      Delete
  6. Wow, you've been busy! Glad your husband enjoyed his "manly" mitts and hat. Your little heart bunting is very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deborah-yes I was busy getting them done while the cold spell was with us-they have had plenty of wear! xx

      Delete
  7. Both sets of mitts are really beautiful! And so many hearts! What a nice bust for the cold February time :-)
    Take care
    Anne (Crochet Between Worlds)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vielen Dank Anne! So glad you like them-it has been chilly so they are having plenty of wear! xx

      Delete
  8. Love those hearts Alison....now if you lived closer I would buy some off you...everything displayed is just beautiful.xx
    {The Journey is the Start – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Annie-that is really kind of you to say xx

      Delete
  9. Ahh! Alison, your love for your family shines out of this post! I am in awe of your crochet skills (having tried and failed to teach myself last summer!) especially since you can do feminine, masculine and probably everything in between! I must confess to missing Matthew from Downton and haven't watched it since his 'demise'! Totally with you on walking the dog in all weathers too - isn't that why hot chocolate was invented?! Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely message to receive Vicky-thank you. I am still improving my crochet skills! Ah no, Downton is not quite the same without Matthew but I still love it for the costumes! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting- I love reading your comments so please do send me one! xx