Tuesday 27 January 2015

New Year birthdays

Hello and hope your New Year has started well. Already we are almost at the end of January. Usually I look forward to a quiet month of reflection and general clearing up after the seasonal rush. January this year has been busy but I am making as much time as possible for crafting! 


Last year I gained so much pleasure (and therapy) from my making and especially with those items designated for friends and family. As I went through the design and making process of my Christmas makes- crochet scarves, hand warmers, brooches and headbands I was thinking of the recipient in every stitch. As I carefully chose fabrics for little cosmetic bags and 'tea wallets' I imagined how the recipient would use them and what a joy it is when someone speaks of their appreciation and enjoyment of the item, truly heartwarming.




Each New Year I have a plethora of family birthdays and for the last couple of years have planned to hand make my cards. So far this had not actually happened-there never seemed time before the birthdays commenced (on 6 Jan) so as usual, I ended up rushing out to buy what I needed, then, just like the Christmas cards I planned to make and did not find time for, was never really happy with the commercially produced cards available. So for this year's birthdays I was determined...things shall be different! 

So at the start of the month I set to like a dervish with a die cutter, 'The beast' (aka as the Big Shot Pro) has been lurking, awaiting the moment when it would produce wonderful shapes from various gorgeous papers I haven't been able to resist collecting over the last couple of years. I am so guilty of hoarding craft tools and materials unused. Are you? One of these was a Sizzix flower die. Putting the flower shapes together was so much fun using delightful creams and pink shades. Choosing cute buttons to go in the centre was too! I also love butterfly shapes -these mini ones are made from a Sizzix die for jewellery designs.

With lots of female birthdays coming up-what joy it was using gorgeous colours. 




Aren't we ladies great to make for?. Easy-such a plethora of prettiness possibility! I decided to focus on themes of pinks with cream and green accents, adding the butterflies and flowers. Here's one I made for a sister-in-law:



   
Next was a female friend. I used the same flower in different shades and a hand stamped sentiment: 
The background papers are by Graphic 45.

Then I found some clear stamps (stashed and unused so far!) and tried out some layouts.

I tried some tags as well-why didn't I use these before?? The gorgeous vintage 'butterflies and moths' stamp is by Tim Holtz.

Adding some cute mini flowers, leaves and buttons -isn't this a lovely sentiment? 


Then...came the challenge. The dreaded 'man card!' Why is it that men are so difficult to choose presents and cards for??
The eldest brother-in-law was to be 65. Yes! I thought. I have numbers-cutting die by Tim Holtz I'll do a 65 and go a bit vintage...hoping he wouldn't be offended!! 
As the brother-in-law has always enjoyed visits to Cornwall I thought nautical would be a good bet and popped a few ideas on my paperarty Pinterest board, Oscar's Loft
Let's go for a hand stamped stormy sea, with a lighthouse.
  It came out a bit too stormy!


Ah well I hope he liked it!

So at last I'm using some of my crafty stash and have finally actually made some cards.

See you soon!

Best wishes
Alison xx


14 comments:

  1. Hello Alison! Happy New Year to you! I have missed you... but there is always so much to do and so little time isn't there?! I love your cards... what a fabulous job you have made of them all. I especially like the one you made for your brother-in-law and the tags are lovely too. I'm like you... I sorted through my sewing room the other week and I came across all sorts of unopened crafty bits and pieces... really must get round to using them... one day! Have a lovely week! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such kind comments Christine! Yes there is so much to do, so many crafts so little time! Delighted you like my cards xx

      Delete
  2. Beautiful cards and tags that you have made, I'm sure the recipients were delighted. Lovely that you are enjoying your hidden stash and that you found some time to be able to be creative xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chrissie-it is fun digging up hidden items, still wading through the stash! xx

      Delete
  3. Great makes Alison you have been busy
    Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie-having seem all your lovely cards last year I knew I had to have a go! xx

      Delete
  4. Your cards are all lovely!! I used to make cards in a somewhat random fashion some years ago, but gave up as I found the man cards too hard and we have a lot of men in my family! Yours is so great though, you obviously have a very good eye for man cards - and ladies cards too of course!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I might run out of man ideas Amy, I think nautical will be the only way to go, I just wouldn't be able to do football!! Thank you for such a lovely comment xx

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year to you and your family.
    I am impressed that you did get around to making the cards. Like you, I have every intention of making handmade cards, but unfortunately, it never comes to fruition.The cards look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yvonne -I am afraid I don't seem to be able to write a comment on your blog-I must try to find out why that is xx

      Delete
  6. Lovely! I,too, have quite a stash of materials to do this very thing, but haven't managed to quite get to it. Handmade items are such a wonderful gift, and I know your recipients will love these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deborah-it's rewarding when you actually finally get some done! I do love handmade xx

      Delete
  7. Hi Alison, thanks for dropping in...wow I just love what you have created..I am all for handmade flowers when time permits and these are gorgeous. xx

    {The Journey is the Start – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year, Alison! You have got off to a wonderful crafty start making these gorgeous cards and tags! I love the pretty floral ones, and the 'man' card is a great idea, I love the nautical theme.
    Enjoy your weekend and keep cosy.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting- I love reading your comments so please do send me one! xx