Monday 17 November 2014

Season of mists and Christmas craftiness...


The wedding is beginning to seem a while ago now but fond recollections of a marvellous day continue. Thank you all so very much for the wonderful comments left -it was truly heart warming to feel that the day was shared with new friends far and wide!  

 Autumn walks


...and so to Autumn  and apologies Keats for changing your memorable line in my title today!

                                   'Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness,
                                   Close bosomed friend of the maturing sun...'
                                                                                                'Ode to Autumn'  John Keats

   We certainly have Autumn mists here in Cornwall, but the damp and huge amount of rain can be offset by some bright sunny November days when the light is so clear. On such days it's such a pleasure to walk with the dogs and enjoy the beauty of Autumn. Often I pass through our main town of Truro - actually a city, known for its cathedral and a favourite walk is along the Truro river. There is a lovely spot to sit awhile with a coffee looking across to the cathedral.


As the river is tidal, there are many wading birds, ducks, gulls and swans to be seen.  I love to see the bright little boats moored up alongside, resting and waiting. almost like the dogs, to be taken out!


Autumn is only just beginning to show its true colours, with trees losing their leaves a little later than in counties further north.


It's lovely to stop and enjoy the views but Bonnie and Oscar are always ready to get going again!

Season of Christmas craftiness...

October, November and December-the 'golden quarter' of crafting! There is just so much scope for the handmade at this time -who doesn't love a uniquely crafted gift for Christmas? I also find this a frustrating time because I have so many ideas of all the items I am going to make but find that time is  seems to fly and we're charging headlong into December before I'm even started!
It took me a while to pack away all the wedding materials and get my mind onto something new. First I treated myself to these sparkly metallic crochet cottons. Aren't they gorgeous? Can't wait to use them!


Then I fancied doing something with felt so collected lots of Christmassy bits and pieces together and die-cut some festive shapes.


The wedding 'favours' were tiny jars containing 'Bonbons de Paris'. Some guests left the jars behind after consuming the contents! They are the perfect size for storing buttons and trims. It was quite therapeutic sorting out my reds and greens!

I sewed the shapes together simply on the machine.

I love this cute snowman shape:



In fact I liked him so much I went and made a card of him as well! Possibly an idea for my daughter's  primary class as I know she will be after me for Christmas project ideas soon! 



Do you like his tartan scarf? I could play with paper cutting and sticking for hours! Hopefully I may have some finished 'felties' to show you soon, and some Christmas crochet!

Hope you are having a good week,

Best wishes

Alison xx







































17 comments:

  1. Truro looks lovely and the 2 dogs look happy being out and about. Your felt craft is very cute and looks like fun to make. Enjoy the cool autumn days crafting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yvonne-it is a lovely place to be. Hope you are enjoying walks and crafting too! xx

      Delete
  2. Lovely pics of Truro! The felt decorations are great, very festive :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen! They are such fun to make-I keep designing new ones but must get some of them finished! xx

      Delete
  3. Hello Alison! Your Autumnal walks sounded and looked beautiful and the dogs look such fun! Love your button jars and the beautiful threads and, I really like how your felt ornaments are shaping up! The card is fabulous too! Looks like you are having Christmas crafting fun!! Enjoy your week!! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for such kind comments Christine! I am having fun crafting, just love this time of year! xx

      Delete
  4. Hello Alison! Thanks for revealing your lovely Xmas makes, these are so cute.
    I love the decorations made from felt!
    The metallic crochet yarns look interesting, I wonder what you will make from them?
    Love the pictures of your walk, aren't the two dogs adorable?
    Wishing you more craft happiness!!!
    Ingrid xx
    http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ingrid I thought you would like the metallic threads-I have been making some tiny stars so far for strings of bunting maybe for the mantlepiece, I think you would like them-they are so sparkly! will post a pic when finished.xx

      Delete
  5. Alison, the view of that cathedral is beautiful! What a wonderful spot. But I see your cute dogs are anxious to be walking. They are adorable!
    And I love those felt projects. I need to get going. I have only knitted 1 1/2 dishcloths -- haha. I spend too much time looking at everyone else's projects!
    Speaking of which, can't wait to see what you do with that sparkly thread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am delighted that you like the pics Deborah! Yes the dogs are cute, they are such fun. I keep looking at everyone else's projects too though instead of finishing what I have started! I am crocheting some stars with the thread-it is so sparkly! Also some rose corsages for Christmas gifts xx

      Delete
  6. Cornwell looks like a place i need to visit someday. Your pics certainly look stunning!

    Also, i really like your christmas preparations! Wish i was that far already!

    Take care
    Anne
    http://crochetbetweentwoworlds.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Anne yes you must visit Cornwall one day I am sure you would love it, it is quite a unique and beautiful place. I keep asking my husband to take me to Germany again for the Christmas fairs though! xx

      Delete
    2. I can understand that - the christmas fairs are pretty magicial! Especially the small ones which aren't all about drinking and selling cheap stuff. I like the ones with handcraft things and such :)

      Delete
  7. Cornwall is beautiful, I visited it years ago and would love to go back again, in fact I had a boyfriend from Cornwall many years ago haha I often wonder what if? Love your Christmas makes so cute, there is never enough time to get everything finished is there. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm delighted to hear you have visited Cornwall Linda! You must have another trip soon. Your story intrigued me as well!! It's funny to think about the roads we may have taken and ended up! I'm not very good at finishing projects-making a real effort though to do that this year! xx

      Delete
  8. Such lovely festive makes, they all look very pretty and neatly done too. I enjoyed your photos of Cornwall, and your happy dogs too :)
    Have a great weekend!
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Helen I am delighted your enjoyed the photos! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting- I love reading your comments so please do send me one! xx