Monday 6 October 2014

Getting to the heart of wedding craft!

I really need to thank you all so very much for taking the time to leave such kind and thoughtful messages on my last post about the loss of our lovely dog Kate-  your kindness is truly appreciated-thank you. 


I have begun to crack on with the wedding crafts with a vengeance-less than three weeks to go now!


As part of the decorations and gifts my daughter wanted me to incorporate some of the little hearts I usually make using Cath Kidston fabrics. Generally I work to a simple idea using two fabrics and decorating with a ribbon message:

This time I wanted something a little more fitting for the vintage Paris theme. It was the perfect excuse to browse Pinterest and put together a board of ideas: 'Heirloom Wedding'. At last I could put to use some of that gorgeous vintage lace I have and seek out more Paris themed fabrics! 


I love fabrics which incorporate vintage photographs. 

I have some wonderful vintage laces, some left to me by my mother and wanted to include them as much as possible. I put them together with buttons, rosettes and a few fabric flower shapes made from scraps of Laura Ashley vintage fabrics.



I liked the idea of hand stamping motifs onto linen as well. I used  Versacraft ink as it seems to have much more depth when hand stamping on fabric. 


I tried out some ideas-the personalised label was made using a custom stamp: 


I used a little blue French toile linen for this one. The tiny rosette is a scrap of Laura Ashley vintage 'Wild Clematis'.


I planned to make these ones as special keepsakes for the main bridal party and thought it would be more special to make each one a little different. 


It was pure pleasure selecting vintage buttons and working with the gorgeous lace! 


A little touch of vintage Paris and lace from a vintage wedding gown went into this one,


I do hope the recipients will enjoy them and keep as a memento of the day.

Do you like vintage lace? How do you use it? It always makes me think of those beautiful weddings of the 1920s and 30s before wartime shortages set in! 



Ah... a vintage wedding in the city of light. Hopefully I will be able to create just a little flavour of this era for Laura and Adam on their special day! 

Have a lovely week
Best wishes

Alison xx












24 comments:

  1. Oh Alison! What absolutely lovely hearts you have made and how exciting that the wedding is only a few weeks away. I hope all your preparations go smoothly. Love the vintage look!! Have a lovely week! Christine :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine-I have now made some mini ones as well. I am aiming to get most of the making finished this week but that's a tall order! Hope you are having a lovely week xx

      Delete
  2. Your hearts are lovely I'm sure they will be loved and treasured by the recipients. Not long to go now you are in for a busy couple of weeks, enjoy it it will pass before you know it
    Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie-you're right- it has seemed a long time coming but the weeks are flying by now!
      Alison xx

      Delete
  3. Your hearts are so beautiful, and so personal too. I am sure that everyone who receives one will love and treasure it and appreciate all the hard work and love that you put into each and every one. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so kind Amy-you know what love does go into our hand makes, they are just so much more special. Hope you are having a lovely week xx

      Delete
  4. Dear Alison
    What beautiful hearts to be kept and treasured. I think the wedding is going to be so lovely.
    I used vintage lace to add to hearts too - my hearts were made from material from my past and are hanging on the door handles in the sitting room.
    I hope you all have a wonderful wedding day.
    Have a good rest of the week.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ellie I am delighted you like the hearts. Your hearts sound gorgeous-how lovely to use treasured fabrics from the past. I think vintage lace was made for heart embellishment! xx

      Delete
  5. What a very talented lady you are! I adore these vintage-style hearts. I expect you are all getting very excited about this wedding! Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Vicky! Yes it is all very exciting now that the wedding is almost here! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The hearts are gorgeous. How lovely too have such a beautiful momento of a very special day.
    Jacqui xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jacqui, it's a lot to do but I really want there to be some lasting keepsakes of the day xx

      Delete
  8. Your hearts are beautiful you can tell care and attention has gone into them very pretty x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They do take a while but it is worth it for something a little bit different, I do hope they like them xx

      Delete
  9. Hello Alison, Thanks for calling in at mine...love your crafty makes. I used to live in Mullion so will be reading with interest. EE xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for popping over Ethel-great that you used to live in Mullion! I know it well, beautiful area-we're a bit further up near St Austell but often go to the Lizard xx

      Delete
  10. Your hearts are absolutely beautiful, Alison! I love the pretty embellishments you use. Btw, thank you for your sweet comment this week.....our dog Molly is a bolognese, very similar to the bichon frise....so she is a sort of cousin to your lovely Oscar! They are such gorgeous dogs aren't they?
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is really kind of you Helen I am delighted that you like my hearts! Molly is just so adorable- I had never had a small dog before and can't get over what characters they have! They really are gorgeous, I don't know how I ever lived without a bichon in my life!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Alison,
    Those hearts are gorgeous and what a lovely way to use the lace. I hope the guests appreciate the thought and effort that went into them!
    Antique lace is so pretty with its intricate patterns and tiny loops and stitches. It's great that you've used it in a meaningful way for a special occasion. Judging from the mountains of it I come across through my work a lot of people store it for generations!
    I hope the remaining wedding preparations are under control!
    Best wishes, Catherine Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Catherine. You must see much of this beautiful vintage lace in your work, what stories it must sometimes hold! I love to be able to weave a little of the past into my makes, to be taken forward. I think the preparations are under control....not long to go now!! xx

      Delete
  13. Oh my, these are just gorgeous! You have done such a beautiful job, and what wonderful gifts these will make. So nice how you've incorporated their theme with your vintage lace. Hope your preparations continue to go smoothly, and you make good memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so very much Deborah-I am so pleased your like them xx

      Delete
  14. You are a very talented lady Alison, those hearts are amazing, what a beautiful memento.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Linda-I am delighted you like the hearts. I love mementos of special days-I have made one for each of the bridesmaids, ushers, groom's parents- and bride and groom themselves of course! xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting- I love reading your comments so please do send me one! xx