Saturday 6 September 2014

The wedding planner...


When my older daughter announced her engagement in February with an October wedding date I thought 'that's eons away'! There was long dark nights, foul weather,  Easter eggs and Springtime all to get through first before the arrival of summer-and long holidays! After the initial excitement I convinced myself there was no need to really think seriously about the fact I was 'designing' the event until nearer the time. How could I overlook that saying about time flying!
To say I am actually planning the wedding is actually a gross misinterpretation of the facts (I do have a tendency to over exaggerate on occasions)!  Actually what I have done is more 'style' it. The happy couple asked me to come up with a theme for them which fitted with their interests and the venue. This is a wonderful art-deco hotel built in 1929, on a cliff top overlooking the sweep of the bay. It is gorgeous, already with a feel of 1920s glamour.

The thinking part didn't take too long...I knew they would like the celebration to reflect their shared love of the city of light and Laura's love of le  français.  With the allure of La belle France and loving all things shabby chic we settled on a vintage Parisian theme with a touch of Gatsby glitz!


I had seen photos of a wedding in Paris which really was the epitome of French glamour and couldn't resist- bride in gorgeous ivory lace with bridesmaids and grooms men in chic navy.  A splash of red roses completed the look-fantastique cherie!   We put together a Pinterest board: Parisian wedding -what a great place Pinterest is to store ideas!
Since then most of the main organisation has been done, invitations are out, responses are being logged, the summer is over and I've finally made a start  on all those crafty bits I'd seen in my mind's eye!

Tag time! 

I thought making tags and labels for the favours and bridal party gifts would be easy...I'd made some simple ones for other weddings using Cath Kidston/Laura Ashley: 
  
Mais  non! These would not fit with all things vintage Paris!

I love rubber stamping and often make simple tags just with one ink like this:

...mais non- Trop rustic methinks!

Trop simple! Time to inject a little more excitement and I have been getting very enthused by altered art and mixed media lately. I wanted to experiment with distress ink to get a bit more depth and interest. So before any more stress set in I decided to distress! Here's what I did. 

Bridal party gift tags.

I sallied forth with  Tim Holtz distress inks in 'Antique linen' and 'Tattered rose', sweeping over cream card with the brayer. 


Looked a bit of a mess at first I thought but carried on regardless!
The Dogfather (my hubby) had bought me this gorgeous background stamp for my birthday in May. It's quite big though-I didn't need the whole design.
  
I experimented with Archival ink in Sepia and French ultramarine-the blue looked best or maybe I was swayed by the name! I decided to use only the section of the stamp with the tower.
I wanted to highlight the word 'Paris' in red, so covered it up while I rollered the blue ink on.

I removed the card and dabbed red onto the word.

Voilà! I stamped them on to the base. 




I chose a tag shape which would show most of the tower-this one is Sizzix. 



Ooh là là   -there we are! 


Just need to 'age' them a little more with 'Vintage photo' and sepia inks...
All done! Now for a few extra bits of shabby chicness...some vintage lace and tiny roses.

Finished with vintage navy taffeta ribbon and stamped with vintage typewriter font on reverse.

Job done-and the bride loves them!

Time is gathering apace towards the wedding and more crafty projects to follow!

Hope you have a lovely relaxing weekend

Alison xx



20 comments:

  1. Oh wow, Alison! ALL these tags are amazing!!!! How brilliant! I can understand why you adapted the design to the final one, but personally I adore the fabric hearts design (but maybe because I am drawn to all things textile!!) What a fantastic stamp that is! Good luck with your next projects for the wedding! I'm sure it will be a super wedding! :)
    Love, Ingrid xx
    http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ingrid-I am delighted you like the tags! Yes I do love the fabric ones but 'inking' is so much fun as well!
      Alison xx

      Delete
  2. Oooh Alison they look fabulous!! Your daughter is very lucky to have you helping her!! I looked at the pinterest board and there are some wonderful ideas there!! I can see that this is going to be a beautiful occasion from start to finish!! Magnifique!! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine-I am delighted you looked at the Pinterest board-it has been so useful as a reference. I have followed your boards as well. Merci beaucoup! xx

      Delete
  3. Your tags are gorgeous Alison and there is no wonder your daughter lives them. I'm looking forward to seeing what else you make.
    Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie-I am excited about all the papercrafty I can do for the wedding! I am working on place card holders now
      Alison xx

      Delete
  4. Dear Alison
    I love those tags - no wonder the bride to be is thrilled with them. It is going to be an amazing wedding, I think.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Ellie-I have made smaller ones for the favours as well. It's quite addictive!
      Alison xx

      Delete
  5. Amazing tags! Your daughter is really lucky! :-)

    I just got myself my first stemps two weeks ago. Nothing as fancy as your magic work there, but it looks like a lot of fun!!

    Take care
    Anne
    http://crochetbetweentwoworlds.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anne-thank you so much for coming over!
      Thank you-I did enjoy making the tags. Stamping is a craft I come back to regularly as yes it is such fun! I hope you will enjoy using your first stamps-it is very addictive!!
      Best wishes
      Alison xx

      Delete
  6. It is amazing how fast time flies and how you get so busy when you have lots to do. I hope that all the preparations and the wedding go really well. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy-yes it is scary now that the wedding is only a few weeks away! It's fun doing the preparations though.!
      Alison xx

      Delete
  7. Lovely tags, great theme too, I am sure you are well on your way to having everything covered. Will look forward to seeing some more of your creations for the wedding xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chrissie-I am working on place holders and fabric hearts this week-only a few weeks to go!
      Alison xx

      Delete
  8. Beautiful Alison!! I so want to get back into my paper crafts! You are inspiring me with the knitting, and now with paper! You have done a lovely job; I can't wait to see what else you do. 1920s Paris/Gatsby is a great theme. Did you ever see Midnight in Paris? A movie set partly in the 20s in Paris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Deborah that is such a lovely comment. You are inspiring me in so many ways too. Paper crafts are so much fun as well!
      What a coincidence that you should mention Midnight in Paris-a friend gave me the DVD for my birthday and I haven't yet watched it-I certainly will do!
      Alison xx

      Delete
  9. What a great theme for a wedding, So romantic .....perfect! I love your tags and their shabbi-chiciness. You are so talented, in so many areas. I've never had a go at paper craft. Jacqui xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delighted you like the theme Jacqui! I think you would like paper craft too-I got more into it after discovering all the amazing new scrapbooking materials there are nowadays -you can really play around with colour as well! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Alison, They are lovely - all versions - but the last ones are the best, so pretty. Isn't your daughter lucky having such a talented mum to help out!? Catherine xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yes I love that stamp. I love a bit of papercrafting to really get creative, those tags are awesome. Jo x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting- I love reading your comments so please do send me one! xx