Tuesday 24 June 2014

Groovy summer

This continuing heat and long summer days always takes me back to the summers of the '70s. Making such admittances publicly is unusual for me as inevitably, if you have such years stored fairly clearly in your memory then you have to be a certain age!  (of course I was very young then..) 1976 was memorable for its long drought-everyone had a scorched lawn as the heat just went on. Retreating to a local outdoor pool was the greatest pleasure-floating about on the water and coming out for an occasional ice cream was a delight, whilst listening to Mungo Jerry on the transistor radio..  Memories are formed by such experiences and thus mine, whenever a hot summer appears are stirred with thoughts with all things retro and psychedelic, surfing and camper vans- and of course we get lots of those down here!

Anyway this weather led me to thoughts of some lovely bright retro patchwork planned for some time. I had a collection of some gorgeous designs from Amy Butler, Michael Miller, Robert Kaufman etc  which I had mixed as a hexagon collection for my little shop Farmhouse Traditions .



They have sold  so well and I am almost down to the last of these now. I had become so fond of the designs myself I started putting them together into a few 'Grandmother's flowers'.

These designs are so funky-I love the Michael Miller one with the little woodland creatures on a black background- 



I can spend ages just trying out combinations of colours and love popping a special one on the middle!


This bright psychedelic design with the hearts is fab!

I am thinking of combining Michael Miller's 'Ta-dot' pink with red spots to separate the 'flowers'. What do you think?
 Room for a few more 'Peace' and 'Love' to give the feel of Woodstock '68 (no I wasn't there though I wish I had been!)
...and maybe a few more camper vans and retro ice creams!

My hexagon projects usually end up as cushions...maybe I'll make a bag this time-you would definitely see me coming!
Such thoughts about those heady days of the 60s and 70s make me want to dig out those flares, pop a few flowers in my hair and locate the Peter Frampton LPs still hiding somewhere in the loft. Oh well, maybe I'll just peruse my Retro Summer Pinterest Board instead - groovy baby!






   

8 comments:

  1. I too remember the 70s which makes me of that certain age as well and I remember well the summer of 76. I love your hexagons, they are very evocative of that era
    I look forward to seeing what you make with your hexies I think a bag will be great and that red with pink dots will make a fabulous divider between the flowers
    Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie-great that you identify with me on the '70s, I am still trying to get my head around that they are now considered 'vintage'! xx

      Delete
  2. Me too! Love your retro fabrics, especially the fabric with the camper vans!! Such fun! Remember the Summer of 1976 well... watching Wimbledon instead of studying for exams!! Looking forward to seeing what you make with the hexagon flowers! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wonderful Christine-those times with Bjorn Borg and MacEnroe are well worth remembering! We must be very like-minded...I was always finding other summer things to do instead of studying for exams-after all it was always the best weather! xx

      Delete
  3. Wonderful fabrics, so bright and vibrant, 1976 vintage? oh!! xcx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Chrissie-glad you like them. Oh yes, even some of my Laura Ashley fabrics from the 80s are now described as 'vintage'!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look brilliant altogether. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jo-I really must finish making them into something! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting- I love reading your comments so please do send me one! xx