Friday 13 June 2014

Down to the sea.


Well due to a busy work week my crafting has been a little on the back burner. Today was such a welcome day off and in this glorious summer weather it was time to leave everything else and get down to the sea.

 I spied this cute heron making the most of the tide being fully out and a large pool where he could fish to his heart's content.

 He saw me peeking from behind a rock with my camera but didn't go far-the lure of whatever was caught in the shallows must have been too tempting!
The sky can be described here as 'Cornish blue' and today you could see why-it was glorious! a perfect June day-such a clear sky!

I made a little camp in the rocks while the dogs played in the waves. 
I shouldn't really have introduced my little Oscar looking like this- he is much smarter usually! He is only a baby- just 5 months and it was his first really proper beach visit. He got so excited he decided to roll around in the muddiest rock pool he could find. 
 Here he is looking a bit better!
My younger daughter, now free from university work entertained the dogs while I sat in my little camp with a hot chocolate...never go down to the sea without your thermos!
I love it when the tide has just washed out-it leaves behind so much flotsam and jetsam...and shells. Here are a few seen just where I was sitting.
  I brought back the razor shell for my seaside themed craft room collection.
Oscar wore himself out playing with 'big sister' Bonnie the labrador, while I just sat and gazed out to sea...


'I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
and all I need is a tall ship and a star to steer her by...'

I memorised Masefield's 'Sea fever' when I was a girl, as I thought it conjured up a delightful picture of   freedom and escape.
Going down to the sea is the perfect antidote to the stresses of everyday life and work-how lucky we are to be able to living here in Cornwall. Where do you take time out to enjoy this glorious summer weather? Wherever it is hope you have a beautiful, relaxing and warm, sunny weekend! 

11 comments:

  1. Ooh this looks so idyllic you are one lucky lady living close to the sea. I was brought up beside the sea and do miss it on days like today now I live near to London.
    Enjoy the weekend and thank you for sharing your sea side with me
    Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie how wonderful to have been brought up by the sea. My father was too, in NE Scotland and always looked back on the experience with such pleasure, loving the sea. I've done it the other way round, having been brought up with the factories and smoke of the Midlands, so it is a constant delight to be living here. Hope you get chance to visit your childhood seaside often, Alison xx

      Delete
  2. Lovely Alison your wonderful photographs make me yearn for the times when we holidayed in your fabulous part of the world, to think we nearly moved there many years ago. How much I regret that now and wish I could turn the clock back and replay the tape. Not to worry though you are here to bring us all the fabulous news and photographs of your gorgeous spot. Sorry for not visiting for a while the old day job has been keeping me very busy! Wonderful to read your blog Alison, always good fun and I haven't forgotten my promise to you. Big hugs and loves, Dorothyxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, so relaxing just sitting and watching the sea finding all sorts of treasures. We went down to Javea beach the other day and because it is shallow for so far out, the sea was lovely and warm. So we paddled and collected shells, the water is so clear you can see the fish swimming around. So different from the Devon beaches, have a great weekend xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Devon is lovely Chrissie we have even holidayed there while living in Cornwall. I expect it is hot like here today! Time for some shade and some crafty activities I think! xx

      Delete
  4. I had to learn that poem when I was at school, it would probably be considered naff these days but it is so evocative.
    Love the dogs. i can't take my girl to our local seaside (Southend on Sea) a) the dogs are not allowed on the beach b) the "beach" is mostly mud, really thick mud :0)
    So pleased you had a good time.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cally, I always loved poetry from primary but went off it a lot when having to analyse every word later. Loved this one though . The main beaches won't allow dogs here in summer but luckily this one does. Kent is lovely though- we had a holiday there a few years ago, wonderful scenery Hope you're having a good weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comment on my blog! Minerva crafts is wonderful, if you're ever up north you must go! You are a no reply blogger so I couldn't reply by email! What a cute dog you have :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucy, thank you so much for responding here it is so lovely to hear from you! I don't know what I've done to make myself a no reply I will try to change it-still finding my way around blogging. Thank you yes Oscar is cute I have just put him to bed, exhausted after playing all day! xx

      Delete
  7. The beach looks lovely!! What breed of dog is Oscar? I have two cuties just like him.... they are bichon havanese.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Christine thank you so much for popping over! Oscar is a Bichon Frise. This is such a new adventure for us as we have always had labs/collies! He is so full of fun-they are adorable! Lovely to be in touch xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting- I love reading your comments so please do send me one! xx